Low Power Embedded Systems
Wearable and sensing technology is gaining popularity, with people wearing and surrounded by everything “smart” from clothing to glasses and watches. In the following links you can find many interesting project working with sensors technology. The students can deal with design, hardware and software implementation and in-field evaluation of a novel sensor-rich smart wearable and IoT device with wireless interface and eventually powered by energy harvesting. Many of them are in collaboration with Swiss's companies that are interested in IoT and especially autonomous sensing systems
Depending on the applicant's profile and project type, his tasks may involve some of the following:
- lab. testing/characterization of the existing prototype: verification of the prototype's characteristics w.r. design specification (simulations), measuring power-consumption, and assessing detection performance in lab. Conditions
- Highlevel software programming, machine learning, wireless communication
- programming the circuit for specific application, field testing, data acquisition
- Designing PCB with micro-controllers, wireless interface, energy harvesting and sensors and test on the field.
- Firmware implementation for low power and application.
- Analog/digital design using discrete components.
(not all need to be met by the single candidate)
- experience using the laboratory instrumentation - signal generators, oscilloscopes, DAQ cards, Matlab etc.
- analog electronics and signal conditioning with operational amplifiers: amplifiers, filters, integrators etc.
- knowledge of microcontroller programming and PC programming (C/C++, preferably microcontroller with Bluetooth Low Energy but it is not mandatory)
- basic knowledge on signal processing is a plus.
- plus is knowledge on printed circuit board (PCB) using Altium.
For a complete list of many cool project please go to the following links
- Real-Time Motor-Imagery Classification Using Neuromorphic Processor
- Pressure and acoustic Smart Sensors Network for Wind Turbines Monitoring
- Neural Network Algorithms and Interfaces with Accelerators for Embedded Platforms with Real World Applications
- Design Of A Biomarker Assay Based On Responsive Magnetic Nanoparticles
- High-throughput Embedded System For Neurotechnology in collaboration with INI
- Neuromorphic Intelligence In An Embedded System in Collaboration with AiCTX
- Adversarial Attacks Against Deep Neural Networks In Wearable Cameras
- Wearable Smart Camera With Deep Learning Algorithms For Automatic Detecion
- Energy Efficient Smart Devices For Construction Building Maintenance Hilti Collaboration
- Improving Cold-Start in Batteryless And Energy Harvesting Systems
- Design and Evaluation of a Small Size Avalanche Beacon
- Edge Computing for Long-Term Wearable Biomedical Systems
- Optogenetics And Game Theory Applied To Small Side Bird Using Smart Sensing
- Wireless Sensing With Long Range Comminication (LoRa)
- Indoor Smart Tracking of Hospital instrumentation
- A Wearable Wireless Kidney Function Monitoring System For BioMedical Applications
- Embedded Gesture Recognition Using Novel Mini Radar Sensors
- Contextual Intelligence on Resource-constraint Bluetooth LE IoT Devices
- An Industrial-grade Bluetooth LE Mesh Network Solution
- BLISS - Battery-Less Identification System for Security
- Zero Power Touch Sensor and Reciever For Body Communication
- Wake Up Radio For Energy Efficient Communication System and IC Design
- A Wireless Sensor Network for HPC monitoring
- Low Power One bit Microphone for Acoustic Imaging Using A Parallel Processor
- Low Power Geolocalization And Indoor Localization
- Autonomous Sensors For Underwater Monitoring In Smart Navy Systems
- Autonomous Sensing For Trains In The IoT Era
- Smart Wearable System For Vital Sign Monitoring Exploiting On Board and Cloud Machine Learning
- Radio Signal Direction Detection For Smart Glasses For Augmented Reality Applications
- A Wearable System To Control Phone And Electronic Device Without Hands
- Towards The Integration of E-skin into Prosthetic Devices
- Using Motion Sensors to Support Indoor Localization
- Low Power Neural Network For Multi Sensors Wearable Devices
- Kinetic Energy Harvesting For Autonomous Smart Watches