Digital Medical Ultrasound Imaging
In the LightProbe project, we are exploring the next generation of medical ultrasound imaging systems: The LightProbe is a programmable ultrasound transducer head, which incorporates the entire analog frontend and directly outputs the captured digital samples. This allows the LightProbe to be directly connected to any commodity hardware (phone, tablet, workstation) for post-processing over a standard digital link as simple as a standard peripheral, like a camera.
The LightProbe has two main challenges: The involved ten's of Gb/s data-rates produced by the frontend, which need to be processed and transported off-head, and the power/thermal constraints of such a high-performance handheld device.
This is an ongoing project at our lab and we are looking for motivated students to contribute on the following topics:
- Implementation of processing subunits: Hardware design FPGA/ASIC (VHDL/HLS)
- Programming of software functions: Microcontroller Programming / Processing system programming (C/C++/CUDA)
- System level design: Hardware software interactions, multi FPGA system, high bandwidth links (VIVADO/IP/HW-SW Codesign)
- Power/Thermal optimization: Modelling, Control, Task Scheduling (Matlab)
- Ultrasond imaging algorithm development/improvements/tailoring for implementation (Matlab)
- PCB Design
If you are interested in any of the above topics, contact us.
This is a fast evolving project. If your are interested in this project and want to do something in the areas mentioned above, come to see us to discuss up-to-date project opportunities! No pages meet these criteria.
Projects in Progress
No pages meet these criteria.
- LightProbe - WIFI extension (PCB)
- Intelligent Power Management Unit (iPMU)
- Ultrafast Medical Ultrasound imaging on a GPU
- LightProbe - Implementation of compressed-sensing algorithms
- Implementing Hibernation on the ARM Cortex M0
- Hardware/software co-programming on the Parallella platform
- Eﬃcient Digital Signal Processing in High-Channel-Count High-Frame-Rate 3D Ultrasound Imaging Systems