High-Performance & V2X Cellular Communications
The Internet of Things (IoT) is believed to be one of the main drivers for the semi-conductor industry in the upcoming years. While the key IoT applications will manifest themselves in the near future, it is already clear today, that the use cases will have application-specific requirements. With some applications require high data throughput (e.g. use cases incorporating high-quality video streaming), other use cases rely on extremely low-energy (wearables, implantable telemetry devices), low-latency (self-driving cars), extended link distance (remote sensor networks, drones), and/or location services (self-driving cars, drones).
With some of the requirements contradicting each other (like high-throughput and extremely low energy) it immediately become clear that: No communication system can fit all! Additionally, the very strong cost and form-factor pressure demands for single chip solutions, which incorporate analog sensor / actuator front ends, RF-transceiver, digital baseband processing, and an application processor. Such a RF System-on-Chip (RF-SoC) is mandatory to achieve minimal manufacturing costs.
The unique combination of research fields at the integrated systems laboratory enables the design of complete highly optimized IoT-targeting RF SoC. One part of such an RF SoC design is the hardware- and energy-efficient realization of the digital baseband algorithms in which we constantly offer various semester and master projects in the following fields:
• Development of dedicated communication protocols for IoT
• Development of hardware-efficient digital-baseband algorithms
• Implementation and evaluation of physical communication links on FPGA-testbeds
• ASIC Implementation of key building blocks or full RF-SoC in state-of-the-art CMOS technologies
Available ASIC Design Projects
- Machine Learning-based Compressive Sensing Vehicle Location Tracking ASIC Design
- High-Throughput Channel Coding & Decoding for V2X Communications
- High-Speed Channel Estimation & Tracking for V2X Communications
Other Available Projects
Analog design projects are also available.