Design and Implementation of a Fully-digital Platform-independent Integrated Temperature Sensor Enabling DVFS in Open-source Tapeouts (1-3S/B)
- Type: Bachelor / Semester Thesis or Group Project
- Professor: Prof. Dr. L. Benini
The performance and energy-consumption of integrated devices depend on the temperature of their active region. Measuring this temperature through the package is very difficult to achieve. Integrating temperature probes directly into the active region solves this issue.
You create an all-digital temperature probe as well as its controlling and interfacing circuit. You will then proceed to harden it in both TSMC65 (closed-source flow) and SKY130 (open-source flow). You will fabricate your design integrated into a larger SoC tapeout.
- 30% Deicing means of measuring the temperature
- 40% Implementing (and hardening) the probe as well as the interface circuit
- 30% Integration into a large SoC tapeout.
- Experience with digital design in SystemVerilog as taught in VLSI I
- Completed VLSI II or visiting VLSI II in parallel with the thesis
- Preferred: VLSI III.